Saturday 21 August 2010

Thoughts and Stories

It's odd how when I'm not writing Heartstones (or another project for that matter) I find myself thinking about writing it all the time. I've been to London again this week, and I was very busy with my family over the last weekend so I found myself not getting much of the script written over the last week.

But no matter how busy I've been, I always think about it. And when I really get desperate there's usually some kind of scene within my notebook. Which for last week seems like hundreds of them.
I had a good time away and really enjoyed it. But it's nice to be back and be able to write the script again.

At the moment one of the many books that I'm reading at the moment is one called The Writers Journey. It talks about the structures of stories and gives lots of different ideas about the kinds of stories that are told. Very interesting! And during one of the chapters, it talks about how characters change and why it's important to see that.

Of course, this sent me into wondering about whether the characters do actually change during Heartstones. But that was good, because during the midst of my thoughts I wound up printing off a character development sheet and filling the majority (parts of it I'm still thinking about) of it out for Jack.

Then I'll continue on with Eliza, Henry, Alera and Kandower ect.

It helps to know your characters I think.

It wasn't very long ago that Kathryn and I decided that we wanted to do some background stories for Heartstones. It's not only something that we both really want to do, it's something that I think will be quite good for me as a writer. Like I've mentioned before I was “worrying” about character development, but by doing these little stories for me it deepens the characters and makes them much more real in my head. :)

I suspect that the story I've written would give out quite a few spoilers and isn't quite finished yet which is why I'm not really posting it here just yet. I want to go and finish it in a moment though. :)

Until next week!

DWW out!

No comments:

Post a Comment